Sunday, October 12, 2008
Land of smiles /12:33 AM

Known for the Land of smiles and rich in culture, the Thais are a strong bunch. Despite their poverty and political crisis, they still plaster on a smile towards relatives, friends, neighbours and tourists. Oh yes, they have much respect their King, to the point whereby anyone who mentions Him in vain will get stares in return.

I have been to Thailand twice and both for the same purpose - a mission trip. Some of you may question what a mission trip is. Churches send groups of people out to different countries (mainly third world countries) with a main motive or intention that is, to bless the people there.

In 2003, my very first mission trip was to Singburi, Central Thailand. Two hours drive from the airport, I couldnt take my eyes off the number of dogs that populated Thailand. I tell you, it's crazy man. Crazy. I wonder how dogs actually found their way to Thailand. Hahha they understand Thai too. So funny, I learnt how to shoo a dog. Just say, pah and like stare for awhile (give that Hollywood blondie stare). They will eventually walk away. Lol

Ok that aside, we had a mission! To teach the school children there English. We definitely learnt Thai as well so its like duo effect kinda thing. We teach them English and they teach us Thai. Our trip was about 10 days and yeah, we went to the same schools to be "teachers". What I kept with me was that the kids there are always ready to receive and give. The minute you walk into class, they sit upright, cheering away, clapping.. Well you may say that any contact with a foreigner would make a local excited. I would say you're right. But the difference is that they are always out to make a foreigner feel welcomed. Scooping more than enough food for you, running to and fro to get you a drink.. really some good upbringing and culture :D

Just this year, April, I went Bangkok! Hahha yeah I did some shopping. This time, the mission trip team was going to run a kids camp. The theme was "Jesus, my Superhero". We took the theme song from Hillsong kids. In case you're wondering what Hillsong is, it's an Aussie Band. The camp was 3 days long however we went there for a week. This time, still having the mindset to teach them English, we decided to incorporate learning with fun activities. Which kid likes to read and look at the whiteboard all day? So, we sang English songs like "Head and shoulders, Knees and Toes", "Father Abraham", "Hokey Pokey" and more. With actions and music, the kids were all fired up to sing and dance along. We played games that taught them colours, shapes, fruits and body parts. I thought the while idea of English with songs and games was really cool. I would love to learn a language like that too. Hehheh

Both trips to Thailand ended with teary eyes. Meeting your own expectations and fulfilling an intention/mission is something which you can look back at as a motivation for the future. Not to just mention a mission trip, but any overseas trip is an eye-opener because you choose to bring something home.




Travel 2.0

Labels:


0 comments


know us (:

Ngee Ann Polytechnic
Tourism & Resort Management
Year Two-s
TR02

Fly Here, Fly There.
Eat Good Food,
Creating Wonderful Moments & Experiences,
Is All That Matters!
Travel 2.0 (:

old stories.


interesting stories.
FLYER.COM
Sunverse
TVTrips
ZUJI


where all those stories came about.

ku-dos! (:
by: Elies
image: sxc.hu
bascode: accidentality